Monday, December 29, 2008

Summit County



While Summit County boasts some of the best skiing in the US, if not world, I would put my money on Breckenridge, CO. Having lived there for a season, one gets the feel for what the people are really like instead of the generic facade that you get when only there for a week or so.
An old mining town, like most in Summit County Breckenridge, still has some of the un-commercialized charms it had in its days of old. If you plan to do as I, and stay a whole season, you must, and I can not stress this enough, MUST get there way early. Rental space goes fast, and I mean very fast. I was lucky to have a friend who had an old Sears’s home on Main Street in which he turned the bottom floor into a ski rental, and T-shirt shop, and the top floor was his apartment. Others I met were living 10-14 deep in a 2 or 3 bedroom. However, for the money lodging isn’t that bad, food on the other hand is another story. There are no cheap places to eat in Breck. The cheapest I could find was Ulars, which is a local hang out, and they did have a Domino’s Pizza, but DO NOT expect to find a McDonalds, Wendy’s, or BK in this town, they keep it classy. If fast is what you are looking for, you can travel to Silverthorne.
Breck also has an awesome nightlife. Choose from any of the nightclubs and bars on Main St, or visit any of the larger hotels, and you are sure to find what you are looking for. For my information visit http://breckenridge.snow.com/home/

No comments: