Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Race Card: What Does It Really Mean?


If you’ll notice the photo I have posted is of an old, worn out ace of spades. The photo has a meaning behind it, which I will go into in a moment.
I have been reading several posts where, I’m going to assume are from white males going on and on about "The Race Card". Lets look at this term and what it really means.

Origin:

This term is now more often used in the USA than in other countries, but was coined in England in the 1960s. It alludes to the playing of a trump card in card games like whist.
Following an influx of immigrants into the UK in the 1950/60s there was known to be a degree of racist discontent amongst the (largely white) indigenous population. Reputable politicians avoided acknowledging this openly and there was an informal gentlemen's agreement not to benefit electorally by pandering to this racist element. Peter Griffiths, the Conservative candidate in an election for the parliamentary seat of Smethwick, was accused of using the slogan 'If you want a nigger neighbour - vote Labour', in an attempt to capitalize on the electorate's fears of being 'swamped' by immigrants. He was said to have 'played the race card'.

Whites also have used the Race Card, Rush Limbaugh: It must be about race, because Powell never endorsed any inexperienced, very liberal, white candidates for president. Limbaugh is silent on any support Powell might have given to inexperienced, very right-wing, white candidates for president.

George Will tells George Stephanopoulos that "if we had the tools to measure" we would find that Obama "gets two votes because he’s black for every one he loses because he’s black." Why? Two reasons: guilt (no one wants to look like a racist) and resignation (at least Obama is not Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson).

Andrew Bolton at RedState fumes that Obama would not be where he is now, and Colin Powell would not have endorsed him for president, if he were white.

Ed Morrissey thinks this endorsement would have helped Obama more if it had come earlier, but he does not stoop to pulling the race card:

The reason for my using the antique card in the photo is this. I believe that it is high time that we all stop with the race bating, and get on with the real issues at hand. As I have said in other post, we in this country have bigger things to worry about. DON’T YOU PEOPLE, BLACK AND WHITE GET IT! We need to come together as a nation. We all built this country to be as strong as it was. I say was, as we are loosing our power grip on the world as a whole, and have become a laughing stock as a whole. Other countries do not see us as black or white, but as Americans they mean to do us harm. In the words of my favorite radio host, "Wake Up America!" the race card is just that an old out dated antique worth nothing.

2 comments:

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

We live in Southern California where there are many different shades of "color." One day I was explaining the significance of Martin Luther King, Jr. (day) to my very young school-aged children. I tried to put it into childish terms: "because white people were mean to black people and wouldn't let them have or do the same things." My oldest then asked me: "how did they know which was which?" I was floored. It never even crossed his mind that people weren't just people.

poloist12 said...

Tessa,

Thank you, this exactly the point that I am trying to bring with this post. To me, racism is a mental illness that is taught to our children. I say this, because such as alcoholism, if a link in the chain is not broken, it will continue from generation to generation.

My wife decided on her own to break the cycle. Which I’m finding wasn’t as hard as she made it out to be. Her father is now one of my dearest friends, and was not as prejudice as I thought he might be. I think what made the difference is, that I was not the usual black male that they had seen on TV. I say TV, due to the fact that we live in rural AR and there are next to no blacks in my area until recently. She had also been married previously to a white man who didn’t treat her, as he should have. When her parents saw that I had nothing but love and respect for my wife, they lost any ill feelings; if there was any at all in the first place.

So with that, we should all judge the man, and not the color. As there are bad in all races of people. I don’t care what any reports say about the average of blacks doing what, and whites doing what. Evil is evil.