Friday, January 2, 2009

King James The Bus Driver


While taking my daughter to the Dr. this morning I came across a copy of New Yorker. It was an issue on the top 2008 best reason to either love NY or live in NY, I for get. However, I came across #17, and found this story interesting.

Reading this story brought me back to the movie Coming To America. A comedy if you’ve not seen it, where Eddy Murphy is the Crown Prince of Uganda. He comes to America to search for his bride, and becomes a fast food worker in the process. All the while falling for the restaurant owners daughter and learning of the American culture.

This story is similar to Murphy’s, only that James Oladipo Buremoh fled is home in Idera to escape possible assignation by his 6 siblings, as he was the youngest and favored by the King. His Highness says that when his father died he did not attend the funeral for fear of death. His uncle was placed on the Throne, and brought the people back to idol worshiping, which his grandfather had brought the people to Christ as a Evangelist. Upon his Uncles death the community was tired of idol worshiping, and the oracle had told them to return the reins of power to James the proper King.

2 comments:

Kathie Truitt said...

Wow - very intereting. I didn't realize people still lived like this any more. when you think of royalty, of course the first place you think of is Britain.

poloist12 said...

The first place I do think of is Britain, however I am I big history buff, so I do know of lots of places other then Europe that stll have kings who rule. The Middle East and Africa are full of them.