Monday, January 19, 2009

The Presidential Motorcade


I have been reading a lot of hubbub surrounding Obama’s new Limousine. First let me state, that it is not the full decision of POTUS, or President Elect on which vehicle he is to be paraded around in.

I’m hearing everything from, "Why does he need so many SUV’s," he’s telling the people what they should drive, when he himself is riding around in a gas guzzler", etc. These are all ignoramus statements. I can not understand why people must criticize what they do not know or understand.

The motorcade is a "NESSITY" for any POTUS. So should we have our President trolling around in a Hybrid Honda Accord? Though I like the accord, it would not be becoming of the President to be seen in a foreign auto. Also, would it matter if it were a hybrid? I say no due to the amount of glass that has been added to the vehicle, this of course adding weight. I don’t know about you, but I have been in a hybrid SUV pulling a boat, and the gas mileage wasn’t much different.

In short, POTUS, no matter who he may be, must be protected. Hence why so many vehicles in his motorcade. There are Secret Services Agents that need to accompany him. There are staff members who need to accompany him. There is also a designated paramedic unit that also follows the presidential motorcade. So, yes fuel will be spent when he goes anyplace. Why not complain about Airforce One while we are at it?

No comments: