Saturday, January 3, 2009

On The Hunt



As some of you know I am an avid hog hunter. I have been looking for ways to prefect my technique, and have found that Sweet feeds are a good way to go. I placed several piles in an area where there were traces of hogs. When I returned the following day most of the piles had been rooted and eaten clean.


I decided to take a look on the net to see what others have done, see some of the other ideas below, some of which I will be trying. I am also in the market for some good traps as well.


Fill a 5 gallon bucket with chicken mash, top off with two packets of yeast, dump a six pack of the cheapest beer you can find. Cover and sit in the sun for a few days. Can be dumped on the ground but will have better luck if buried in a shallow hole with very little exposed.


Another says, dry cat/dog food , or powder kool-aid is as effective as Hog Wild. I think I'll take his word for it on this one.


NOTE: Hogs follow coons to not only find food, but the coons cover the hogs sent. See the next for reasons why I have explained this.


Another says, cover your sent with coon urine when setting or baiting your traps. Do not place it on the bait just on the trails and around the traps. I will be trying this one.


Another says, dig a 3 holes with a post hole digger about 3-4 inches deep in a triangle pattern. Layer corn, and attractant in each hole. This will require the hogs to root up the area in order to get the food.


One uses, wheat screenings, and sow in heat urine along with attractants. I think I will try this one as well.


My favorite one, and will be trying some time tomorrow afternoon. Using post hole digger, dig a hole 1 ft deep. Mix one package of jello, beer corn, and fill holes.


Most of these I will be trying within the next few days. A few others I will be trying once I get my new traps.


Good Hunting....



2 comments:

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

I've given you an award. Come and see.

poloist12 said...

Well Thank you. I need to do the same.