Wednesday, January 14, 2009

BridesHead Revisited A Total Failer


While visiting a red box to pick up a movie for Sydney (my five-year-old), I noticed a copy of Brideshead Revisited. Though Richard (the author of WASP 101) and I will probably disagree, I wasted my money.

Not to say that you may not like this film, but it was just not for me. Half way through it, I lost my concentration, and moved on to cutting firewood, and burning trash. Only to come back in, and think to myself, "oh, you’re still on?" It was kind of like that unwanted guest that you kind of forgot about.

I am going to assume that he likes the film for the clothing that the charters wore, and the stately manor (Brideshead) that the charters occupied. Other then this, the film was a total boar, and entirely too much homosexuality in it for my taste. No, I am not a homophobic, but I’d rather not see too men kissing, let alone swim naked in the estate fountain. But hey, that’s just me.

The women in the film were all plain; I wouldn’t go so far as say homely, but not attractive to my taste. The mother (Lady Marchmian) though long in the tooth, she was much more attractive then her daughter. She is played by Emma Thompson if that gives you any clue. She’s is never seen in a flattering way, dressed in black through most of the film.

2 comments:

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

I agree that this movie was terrible. But I absolutely loved the book. If you want to see the longer (British TV) version, you can get it from netflix. It originally aired on Masterpiece Theater back in the '80's. It is the book almost word for word.

Toad said...

i disagree. I enjoyed the film. The Masterpiece vesion is far superior, but as a period piece it works very well.

The novel is one of the greatest 20th century English works. Waugh at his best.