Saturday, January 10, 2009

Thinking of Home

My wife and daughter are out tonight on a girls night out, so I am all-alone. Sitting here bored out of my mind; I started thinking about my childhood. I grew up in Wichita, KS, and some of you may think that this is just another Podunk town, but far from it. I mean it’ no Kansas City, or St. Louis, but it was home and I have a lot of fond memories. One of which, and I didn’t know these guys still existed, was Gentry LTD. I’m glad to see that they will have a web site up soon, and I can not wait to see the changes.



The Indian Center in down town Wichita. As a child I remember taking a field trip to the Indian center. It was here that I had my first taste of Indian fry bread, and I have been hooked every since. Best with honey.



A Frank Lloyd Wright home in College Hill. Built 1915, for Henry J. and Elise Allen. We as children would go by this house and take a peek inside. The home was not open to the public when we were children, but I believe that it is now open to the public for tours.




Another favorite is the Wichita River Festival; boy do I miss the Ice Cream socials. It takes place at the end of spring, and we would skip school, as we only had two or three days left before we would be let out for summer, so why not




America’s3 located at the Wichita Boathouse. Shame I was leaving just as it was being completed, and I have not been able to really see her since. Something I’ll have to add to my bucket list.



Towne East Mall, yes I was a mall Rat. Those of you who know this mall will remember Henrey’s Department Store. This was the place to shop for men’s attire, other then Gentry LTD, or Mr. Guy.



College Hill Park, once was a Country Club during the roaring twenties, turned park and neighborhood. I had my first kiss in this park, as well as my first fight. Whenever I return home, this is one of the places I hit first.









No comments: