Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Boy Hoot

I can assure you I was in no mood for another dog when Hoot came along.

Sad story really. I has a wonderful chocolate lab named Hunter. He was such a loyal dog. He would see me off every morning, following me to the end of the drive. I would check my rear view to see him sit at the corner of the drive, as though he knew I would soon return.

When I would return, he would be there waiting, as though he had been there all day.

Until one evening he was no longer there. I asked my father-in-law if he had seen him, he had but only earlier in the day. We had been having a coyote problem this past summer, and they were in heat. I had not gotten dear Hunter snipped, and he chased his last tail on that faithful day. We have not seen his body anywhere on on the farm, in fact a neighbor a few miles from here has a new chocolate lab. I can only hope that he is living with my new neighbors. Why have I not claimed him if I love him so much? Well if you are someone who knows dogs such as I, you will know that they have a short memory. What saddens me the most, is that I had trained him as a hunting dog from a young pup.

I now have Hoot(pictured above) he's a good ol' boy, though lazy, and ill mannered. I still love him just the same.



No comments: