Monday, February 16, 2009

Call A Motion To The Floor

I am calling for a bill on the floor to bring back the suit. No not really, but if I could I would. I don’t know the young man pictured in the photo above; I just choose his photo because he looked nice enough.

However, since reading and starting my own blog I have been taking a keen interest in what others around me are wearing from day to day. Just today I was having lunch at one of my favorite spots, when this young, hip, professional pulls up in his nice new clean Porsche. It’s the middle of the day and he hops out in a black French cuffed shirt, black trousers (which looked too tight), and those damned pointed shoes I hate so much. Loud, and with ear bud gleaming that technology blue he orders his meal.

As a 38-year-old man, am I that out of touch with society? As I look around, I see more, and more up and coming young professionals looking this way. In fact, my lawyer wears jeans and dirty cowboy boots in his office. The first time I met with him, he was in carpenter jeans, a rumpled shirt, and dirty cowboy boots. One would think that he wasn’t a very good Attorney if he wasn’t well known in the community. I guess in his case he doesn’t have to look the part.

What is it about the suit that has become so humdrum? I, as most of you know am a farmer, and I still don a suit when I am meeting with potential clients, or doing daily business. Before I became self employed, I would be chided by others in the office for not wearing jeans on Fridays. Once, my boss at a well-known corporation, asked if I were looking for another job. Would it have been better if I showed up in torn jeans and tattoos? Don’t laugh, I know a director of a new corporation here who does. Does it really make people more productive to dress as though they have just rolled out of bed? At any rate, I don’t believe that I would be able to carry the motion.



1 comment:

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

well said, poloist12. the same can be said for travelers. No one dresses for a trip anymore.