Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Afro-American Movers & Shakers

While I personally am not a large proponent of black history month, I thought that I would pay homage to a few Afro-American’s who are doing it in today’s society.
I only say that I am not, due to the fact that other races in this country do not have a whole month dedicated to them, fair is fair. But yes to all the Afro-American’s who may come across this post, I am proud to be an Afro-American. Also, I am pressed for time, so the list is going to be a little small. No, no Oprah on the list.
Richard Parsons, Frm CEO Time Warner

Kenneth Chenault, CEO American Express



Bishop TD Jakes





Will Smith







Tyler Perry

Though I have grown tired of his movies, he has a great story. Coming up from nothing, and pulling himself up by his own boot straps, now that's American.




POTUS

I think he needs no introduction. My wife would love this photo, she hates cowboy hats. So much so I can not replace mine. I guess I will just have to do without, well at least for now anyway.









2 comments:

Alex Sweet said...

any particular reason you say Afro-American instead of African-American or Black?

poloist12 said...

CC,

Interesting question. I’m not sure if you are a black man or woman (note the use of black), but I will try to explain my position on the usage.

First, as I’m sure you know the name has evolved or been re-worded several times. Another question, you could ask is why not you use the word Nigger, or Negro? We all know the word Nigger is not a very good word to use at all period, let alone to express the gentlemen I have listed in this post.

As the name evolved, some have not evolved with it. Such as, my saying Afro, rather then African American. Colored, is only really used by less educated whites who are stuck in the 1960. Black is still used, however it is only used to show a persons color, i.e. “The black guy in the suit.” It wouldn’t ring the same if one were to say, “The Afro-African American in the suit.” Besides, in my opinion, Afro, is much more hip and citchy.

So in short, Afro or African is really a matter of choice, black would be more in the singular. Such as pointed out in the third paragraph, to describe someone. Hope that answered your question.