Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Photo's of The Ice Storm & Country Livin' Ain't Easy.


My plan was to write about a NJ bank that was fleecing my mother-in-law out of hundreds of thousands of dollars of an inheritance, but it will have to be another day. My wife has finally downloaded the photo’s that were taken during the ice storm.
Creek bed, another photo of the back yard.
Running out of room. So this will be the last one.
Section 3, entrance gate area to the other side of the farm. As you can see from the small foliage on the left, the ice is getting thick. This is nothing compared to what it had gotten to. At this point we still had power.


A little blurry, however I wanted to show another photo of my back yard. This is a view to the SW. The tree area to the left is just past the pond.
Section 1, my back yard. One of the ponds on the property. This was before the storm got really bad.

Section 2 of the farm. Notice the green foliage and how low it is hanging to the fence line. There is actually a road that is on the other side of the fence. We had to take the tractor and rip out most of these tree. Sad, very sad. This summer I plan to take more photo's of this section, so that you can see its true beauty. There is actually an old farm house deep in the woods that my wife and I plan to refurbish and use as a photography studio for my wife. It also has a working water pump. I think the house dates back to the early 1900.

Trees in same field as creek bed.

The tree line that you see in the background is the end of my back yard.
most of these trees are now either damaged or totally destroyed.


Downed trees on the creek bed leading to one of the ponds.
If you look carefully you can see the large gaps in the trees in the background.


Another tree in my back yard.
As the Storm went on, we could hear the trees breaking off in the distance. I wish I had a way to place sound on my blog so that you could have gotten the full experience. Farm living ain't easy. We have to contend with power outages all the time, in fact a week after power had been restored, I returned home to a house with no power due to a small branch that had fallen on the line. The city will not clear our roads because they are deemed as private roads. The city will not clean up the fallen trees on our property as it is private property. One makes sacrifices to have peace and quite, and a retreat from the hussle and bussle of city life.
There are no gas stations, or grocers for miles. If one of us were to be seriously hurt here on the farm, we would not expect an ambulance to come to our aid, but a life flight. You have to contend with all sorts of rodents wanting to live in your fields, and yard. From armadillo's, to hogs, and coyotes.
Now for the good stuff. I do not have to hear the sounds of my neighbors loud music, I have a firing range in my back yard, I have hunting grounds for which I can feed my family if need be, I have a place that I can ride my four wheeler, I have a good neighbors I know well. My dogs have free range, and I have no need of worry that they will be hit by a car, or bite someone; well maybe people I don't like. My neighbors are all helpful; "one of the true meanings of a gentleman", and the sky is big and bright at night. You can actually see the stars, and hear the sound of the whippoorwill. The smells are sometimes bad, especially after we fertilize the alfalfa, but by and large the air is crisp and clean. Plan to see more photo's of the farm in the near future.



DUN, NA, DA, DUNT, DUNT....DUNT, DUNT!
Them tune from green acres. I don't know, I thought it was cute. OK, I'm going to bed now, I'm being silly so I must be tired.




2 comments:

Kathie Truitt said...

It's beautiful.
I remember when we lived on the ranch during the winter there were many mornings I'd wake up and find a calf in the laundry room because it's mother had either died or neglected it..
Oh, and of course, breaking the ice on the pond. We didn't have to do that too often, but yes, you're right. Farm living isn't for sissies, is it?

(And of course in the summer time I really miss the sound of the whipoorwhill!!)

poloist12 said...

Katie,

thank you for the correctin of the spelling of whipoorwhill, and you did it tackfully and I thank you for that as well. I'll make the change.

We don't get many calfs in the lanudry, but I sure do get them in my front yard when the fates been lest open. People complain about dog pooping in their yards, wait tell you get one of those.