Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thinking of Going Into Real Estate

Photo Courtesy of Random World Wallpapers
With the real estate bubble busting, or has burst depending on where you live in the country, or your point of view. There has been a plethora of home that have come on the market, yes most are foreclosure.

Long before the burst, this was my dream job. You know that job where you don't mind getting up every morning and going to. When I was a young boy, I would visit a friend of mine, David Haines who was an Architect and he would teach me the ends and outs of Architecture. Most boys my age were either on the football field, or basketball court. David is no longer with us, and I wish I had stuck with it.

My interest in Architecture led me to Interior Design which I think is why I'm so interested in homes more then industrial or office spaces. Anyhow, while I was in college, another older gentleman was in the business of Real Estate, and tried to get me involved. However I was more in tune with finishing school and moving on. This too is something I wish I had taken the time to listen, get involved, and cash in. When my wife and I got married, I stopped in to visit him. He wasn't doing so hot either. I felt that this was my last chance, and gave up the dream.

Until last year, I found out that another friend of mine was in Real Estate. He advised me on a few things I didn't know about the game, but that's as far as it went as I got busy with Windsor and put it on the back burner. Just this past weekend, we were in town for a festival, and I noticed all the buildings I had spoke to my wife about someone had purchased and refurbished. The amazing thing about it is, everything I said that should go into each of these buildings did. I even told my wife when the builder purchased one property that he was going to put in loft apartments, which he did. I even called the price he would charge for each. Although, I told my wife that he would be asking WAY to much for this area, which it was.

By chance I met the wife of the man who is buying up all this property, and she advised that they were way over their heads in debt, which I figured they would be.

Here's where they are making their mistake. They are wanting to make a lot of money. I know, I know, that's what people are in business for, which I agree. She complained that they are only making 5 to 10K on each deal, when they were making 15-25K on each deal. I mean, I'm no genius, but 5-10K on each deal is where my price point is/was, I'm not greedy.

In fact, to show that I love what I do so much. In my own personal business prospectus, I have a plan to GIVE away one house completely furnished each year. Yeah I know, I'm crazy! Don't get me wrong, this wouldn't be to just any old Joe shmoe. It would be to hard working mothers who are in college trying to get off the welfare system.

My plan is to sale homes at low and affordable prices. If I spend 125K on a home, I plan to sale it at 135K. That's so that the Realtor can get his commissions reasonably.

For me, its not about money, but realizing a dream, and giving back a little to the community. If I make a little money in the process, what's wrong with that?

7 comments:

John and Dell said...

You have a really great blog. I enjoy reading it daily. Being a gentleman farmer is definitely an aspiration of mine. However, my farm is about 1200 miles in southeastern OK rather than on the Georgia coast where I teach history and coach football. Great blog.

William John Wood

poloist12 said...

Where in SE OK? You're in my neck of the woods...

John and Dell said...

My Dad has a 400 acre cattle farm in small town about 20 miles south of McAlester, Pittsburg. Very rural. I taught history/government and coached everything (literally)@ Pocola High School about 5 miles from Fort Smith. I even spent a summer selling suits @ Dillards at Central Mall. After coaching in OK for awhile got recruited to the Georgia coast where education pays about 15-20 more grand a year. Married the perfect southern belle. Now if I could just convince her to let me go law school but a one year old and a one month old, two graduate education degrees, and turning 37 this summer will probably prohibit that.

poloist12 said...

Teach history huh? I’m a huge history buff. What area of history do you teach? My interest lean more to European history, but I have interest in all history. When I was in college I wrote a theses on the Magna Carta and its collation to the U.S Constitution. From its (Magna Carta ) early beginnings with the Saladin tithe, to what it is today.

I’ve also studied extensively the Teutonic and Hellenistic peoples. Political Science is another area I like to discuss, but most find it boring so I stay away from the subject.

Law school can be taxing… In your first year, you wont even be able to work, so I hope you have some savings, and the misses has a good paying job because that first year is going to be expensive. Never mind the tuition and book fees. And with not one but two very young children, you’re really a man with goals.
What would you be doing with this law degree? What type of law would you practice? Are you doing this because you think that it pays well, a passion for the field? I’m going to assume two things about you, one, you like history so that’s a plus for being an attorney, and two because of the first you may have the passion for it. Have you sat down with any of the local law professors to see what it really takes to be an attorney, and law school? I’m not trying to rain on your parade, but I can see why the misses needs convincing. Law school is a very big step, it’s not like going for your masters.

As far as the wife, if this is something you REALLY want to do then I think she will understand.

Yeah, I know all of the places you’ve listed in your post. I’ve either been to them, or know where they are.
I’m not far from Ft Smith, about 30 minutes on AR 59, if you remember that highway and haven’t been gone to long. As a matter of fact, I plan to be in McAlester in a couple weeks for a shoot out ( roping).
This weekend hit this little no name place right out side of Siloam Springs, and didn’t do so well. And last weekend, I was in Lincoln at the rodeo grounds. I can’t go to far, the wife isn’t having it. Doesn’t want some buckle bunny chasing me, which I don’t know way she would think they would. I’m old, and a little chubby. They want those bull riders who are slim and lean with those tight butts. I plan to be at the all black rodeo this year, not sure how that’s going to pan out.

I thought I married the “perfect southern belle”, she turned out to be mean, lol… Naaw, I love my wife, and the thing that attracted me the most about her was that southern voice, you know the one. But she still mean! LOL.

John and Dell said...

My southern belle is UGA Tri-Delta and is sweet but can be mean too. Teaching wise I normally have a course that covers the western world (kind of like a jr. high westerm civ. class) and another that is non-western world (Middle East, Africa, Asia), and a Georiga History class (which is a lot of fun!)
When I taught senior government I used to make them read the Magna Carta- actually the had a document packet of that English Bill of Rights and all of the founding documents-I think you have to understand those to truly appreciate the development of the US constitution. Regarding law I agree with you its a major deal- UGA has such a waiting list so the only real option is Mercer in Macon which runs about $100,000 or so. It may be more down the road- I can pretty much retire @ 50ish and I could even imagine going at that point- I will be doing something legal or politically related for my second career no doubt. I talk to a lot of lawyers in fact one of the top 10 trial attorneys in GA told me I would thrive in law school- I probably should have taken more seriously as an undegrad but I am successful at what I am doing now. Law type- I love constitutional law but I am not sure. The one area I dont know is contractual and torts- I guess because that doesnt overlap with history.
Let me guess you team rope too. I roped a little when I was really young and rode steers, etc. Didnt everyone want to be a bullrider at some point. One of my summer projects is to start riding again. Its a great stress reliever and I would like to get where I could at least swing a rope a little. My birthday present to myself when I turn 40 is to go on a real Montana cattle drive sleep out under the stars that kind of thing- that long in the saddle would kill me right now though.
I've been to an all black rodeo before it was cool. During black history month I usually make some kid do Bill Pickett as a project and they really have to dig to find stuff out but they normally enjoy it. Speaking of great black rodeo stars whatever happened to Charlie Sampson- he was so good!
Off to bottle patrol for the month old.

poloist12 said...

"It may be more down the road- I can pretty much retire @ 50ish and I could even imagine going at that point- I will be doing something legal or politically related for my second career no doubt."

If that's what you plan to do, then yes law school is what you should do. You don't need to go to law school to be in politics, but its always a plus.

"I love constitutional law but I am not sure. The one area I dont know is contractual and torts- I guess because that doesnt overlap with history."
Torts isn't bad, I actually liked this course. However, if you are going to be an ambulance chaser, then you would go into this area. I think that because the course is fun, that's why we have so many ambulance chaser, well that and it pay really well. I can see why you would want to go into constitutional law.

"Let me guess you team rope too." Yep, I'm, or was about a 6 roper. I've been out of the game for a bit, and wanted to try my hand at polo. The principlas are the pretty much the same. I roped back in college in NM, and was a member of NMRA. But that was years ago. I'm only just getting back into it. I thin I may hold off on the polo thing. I wanted to build a practice field here on the farm, but after speaking to a few pro's, decided it wasn't good idea. I have however found a club in OK.

"I've been to an all black rodeo before it was cool." Must be the same one I'm going to. Was it in OK? Okmugee, I think it is.

"During black history month I usually make some kid do Bill Pickett as a project and they really have to dig to find stuff out but they normally enjoy it."

Funny you mentioned him. I wa teaching my wife and daughter about him just lastnight. My wife wanted to know why people bulldog, and I told her the story. She just laughed.

Yes everyone wanted to be a bullrider at one point. When 8 seconds came out, remember how Lane Frost had all these friends he never knew he had? LOL.. However, I have met Tuff a few times. His nephew i friends of mine. He; the nephew puts on a rode on in Rancho De Taos. The move didn't do him justice. I've also hung out with the likes of Keefer Sutherland. When he was doing Cowboway, his roping trainer was a friend of mine. I ran ino him a few time after that when he was on circut. He's a cool guy.

John and Dell said...

It's true you don't have to necessarily be in law than in politics I guess it just goes together. I am pretty involved politically serving as vice-chair of the local GOP.
I totally agree with you about 8 Seconds- I liked it as a movie but was pretty let down with the story. The best part is the end with the tribute photos, etc. I met him several times when I was younger (always loved him and Roy Cooper) and his high school quarterback was my Algebra II teacher. However in mid-1990's before I took my first teaching/coaching job I was the sports editor at the Hugo Daily News and did a story on Lane and how he was buried next to Freckles Brown. Brown's daughter cussed Lane and called him a drug addict, etc. I think she was exaggerating quite a bit- I certainly didnt remember him that way nor did most people.
The all black rodeo was in Okmulgee right in the heart of the Creek nation- there are actual a lot of those Creek place names still found in Georgia.
I saw the older post on your business- that's pretty interesting.