Saturday, July 25, 2009

Syd's Lessons

We have been very pleased with the Couch Ranch here in Summer's, AR. This is not just some trail ride. Sydney has learned so far the tools used in grooming, and the fundamentals of grooming. She has even been given homework, which she seems to enjoy; she has to remind me to go over it with her sometimes.

Not only has she learned the fundamentals of grooming, but she is also being taught the anatomy of the horse. In the photo to the right, she is explaining each section of the horses anatomy as she brushes.

Here she is working on her lunges before her first ride. Sad thing is, we didn't expect the horse to be as dirty as he was, and while grooming before her ride, she got dust in her eyes. This didn't make for a good first lesson, and I was sure she would want to give up. I was wrong, she was a trooper and not only finished the lesson, but couldn't wait for her next lesson. We learned or lesson, and purchased her some goggles for when she grooms, which seemed to have helped.

It's not as though Sydney has not been around horses, however I am surprised at how well she handles them. See is very confident when it comes to the dealing with the different tack, the arena, and the horse its self. Here she is walking with Carrie; her trainer, for the first time.




OK, OK, so the photo's are out of order. The photo below is of Sydney tacking the horse for the ride. Again I was surprised that she got right in there, and did what she had to do.


I'm proud to announce that Sydney has moved on from the smaller arena for beginners to the O course. We've not settled on a discipline at this time, but she seems to think that she wants to run poles, or barrels. Sydney has had only four lessons at this time, but her trainer feels that she is ready for an upcoming show.
Though she's coming along, I'm still a bit gun shy about purchasing her, her own horse. I think I will give it a year, and if she's still into it, I'll take the plunge. I already know who would be taking care of it if we did.
Remember folks, Safe ridding, makes for fun ridding. If you are someone who are sitting on the fence about ridding; sorry honey, I know you read this and this was not meant for you, I suggest that you take your time in finding a trainer. Just as in any sport, there are good ones, and bad ones. Some in this area are paying a fortune to have their children sit and watch the trainer ride. With Couch Ranch, its all hands on just the way we like it.





















1 comment:

ms. mindless said...

she is so adorable! how exciting for her!